Published on: October 07, 2019
IK Multimedia's New Ultra-Portable Synthesizer, UNO, has Lots to Offer
UNOs new ultimate portable, monophonic, true analog synthesizer was developed by a collaboration between UNO, the Italian synth-maker Soundmachines, and IKs synth guru, Erik Norlander (one of the brains behind acclaimed synths like the Alesis Andromeda).
The UNO Synth certainly lives up to its ultra-portable description. Measuring only 25.6cm/10.1" x 15cm/8.9" x 4.9cm/1.93" and weighing only 400g it is among the smallest monophonic synths available.
Heres a run-down of its outstanding features:
- All-analog audio path with 2 VCOs with continuously variable waveshape, noise generator, resonant multimode VCF and VCA
- 2 independent analog VCOs with Saw, Triangle and Pulse waveforms with continuously variable shape including PWM of the square wave and a separate white noise generator
- A 2-pole multimode OTA-based sweepable analog resonant multimode filter with LPF, HPF, BPF
- LFO with Sine, Triangle, Square, Up Saw, Down Saw, Random and Sample-and-Hold to modulate Pitch, Filter and Amp
- AD (Filter) + AR (Amp) envelopes (full ADSR control available via MIDI CC or software editor)
- 40 onboard controls and LED display
- 100 onboard presets
- 10 mode, 4-octave arpeggiator
- Real-time and step edit 16-step sequencer with 20 automatable parameters
- Onboard multi-touch 27-note chromatic and scale keyboard with 13 scales
- Sync Delay audio effect and 5 performance effects
- Self-tuning with auto-tune calibration
- USB MIDI and 2.5 mm jack MIDI IN/OUT (cables included)
- Audio In to daisy chain other audio devices with no need for a mixer
- Mac/PC/iOS Editor
- Complete MIDI implementation with all parameters and clock can be controlled via MIDI CC
- Battery (4xAA) or USB powered
- Ultra-portable and lightweight
While UNO Synth is monophonic nature, its two independent oscillators can be tuned differently to generate interesting pad-like interval sounds as well as octaves. This allows single oscillator to sound like two while the second oscillator can be tuned to an octave or interval for advanced modular-style timbres from the greatest classic synths.
Over 40 onboard controls are available on the Synths top panel to give direct real-time access to its synth engine parameters.
The built-in delay effect, synchronized with UNO Synth tempo settings, further expands the type of sounds it can generate, adding depth to repeating arpeggio or sequence patterns as filter and oscillator parameters are modulated and adjusted on the fly.
For more information, check it out at IK Multimedia